formalin/formaldehyde

     I'm a bit late catching up on the postings due to snow. But I haven't
     seen that anybody really understand what formaldehyde/formalin does.

     Formalin is less than 37% formaldehyde usually in alcohol, usually
     neutrally buffered (so that it's not acidic or basic).

     Formalin/Formaldehyde perfuses and KILLS LIVE TISSUE.  This means it
     can go through skin and into the bloodstream and play havoc on your
     liver. Or be inhaled, and kill lung tissue, and get into your
     bloodstream and work on your liver. Think what it could do to you and
     your horse if used consistently. Once in a while, in order to stop
     white line or kill thrush should not be a problem. Used constantly
     would not be advisable. Even at low concentrations, it retains its
     ability to kill live tissue.

     I always think twice about using anything on my horse that requires me
     to wear gloves in order to be safe.

     That is all I have to say.  Just remember to be safe so you and your
     horse can live and ride for as long as possible.

     Linda-Cathrine
     LLayman@NeoRx.com