AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted

I'd like some feedback from AERC members - and ride managers,
on the existing completion time rule, and the desirability of an
exception to it.

The current rule (5) states (briefly) that competitors are allowed
12 hours for 50 miles, 24 hours for 100, and so on according
to the time/mileage chart. This includes all hold time.

I am *considering* proposing an exception to this rule, and would like
pro & con feedback from the membership. The proposed exception
would provide an 'escape clause' for ride managers to use when
extenuating circumstances prevent a rider, or riders from finishing
in the alloted time. Something like:

"Ride managers may, at their discretion, grant _completion only_
(no points or placing) to riders who complete the course, but do
not finish within the allowed time, due to extenuating circumstances."

Extenuating circumstances would include
1. weather and 'acts of God' - snow, rain, ice, earthquake :)
2. emergency relief acts - rider A spends 2 hrs helping rider B who is injured, and
rider A goes on to finish the course overtime.
4. unforseen trail conditions - sabotage, downed trees, landslides, wash-outs

The reason I feel that an escape clause is desirable is
that the existing rule is -in reality- not strictly adhered to. It puts
ride managers in bad situation. Their options are to
1. Not give completion under any circumstances if a rider finishes over the
allowed time.
2. Resanction the ride, (rule 1.3.1) after the fact, as a longer course. This is allowed if
last minute changes to the trail were made, and the result is a longer
course.
3. Fabricate the results, so that those riders who managment feels 'should' have
credit, finish on time.

The latter recourse is often chosen - and condoned. And I personally
have chosen it and condoned it in some circumstances.

...so doesn't that make it a 'bad' rule? If it's frequently broken, but
most feel that breaking it might be the right thing to do?

I'm not really fanatic about this, but the situation has been
bothering me a little bit for a long time. Both managers and
riders may suffer under the existing rule, but probably the ones
who are harmed the most are the managers.

The bottom line (IMO) is that without volunteer ride managers, AERC doesn't
have rides, and without rides, there is no AERC. The organization
currently does very little, (other than giving info and guidelines
and advertising through EN)  to support ride managers. If we can
give managers a little more power and flexibilty by giving them a
'legal' option to an uncomfortable and fairly prevalent situation,
then we benefit as an organization.

Of course this exception could be abused, but then so can most
aspects of an endurance ride (mileage accuracy, course marking,
leniency in granting 'fit to continue'  completion, etc). We have to
assume that the ride manager will 'do the right thing' in all
other aspects of managing a ride, and therefore should
assume that the manager will 'do the right thing'
regarding overtime exceptions, and not grant completion if it was
not warranted.

whew!

lemme know if any of you have strong opinions one way or the other..

Steph