Reassurance for the street-spooky horse

My husband, an avid hiker, would rather walk than ride despite owning the
old gentleman of the equine world-a 23 year old Appy who has seen and done
a lot.  I bought the old fellow for Keith when he complained that I was
away too much riding.  It was a good try.  The compromise has been that
Keith walks and I ride.

Last year I bought a green Polish Arab.  The owner had had trouble with him
and could not sell him as she would decribe his shortcomings to potential
buyers in graphic detail!  She was about to sell to the meat dealer when
the farrier suggested I look at him.

Call me a sucker-he came home with me for so many cents on the pound.

He had done almost no road work so when I felt he was ready  I asked
husband Keith if he would walk with me a couple of times.  It was for my
reassurance but proved a tremendous aid to Riff.  Riff hardly knows Keith
but we immediately found he would trundle along very confidently with his
nose right beside Keith's elbow. Keith was concerned for the first hour or
so-he wondered if he was going to be flattened by a shy.  So I'd move riff
over and he'd drift right back.  Over and back.  Over and back.  We gave up
and he didn't shy even once.  Why bother he had his security-his 'lead
horse'.  I really think because Keith didn't 'shy' at dangers the little
gelding developed confidence.

After a few walks I asked Keith to turn and leave us while we continued on.
 Riff looked sadly after him, hesitated and continued up the road with
somewhat less aplomb.  Did this a few times and we were squared away.

We all know that horses follow the lead horse happily.  It seems that
'peopley' horses will follow a human lead 'mare', which I suppose is what
happens when we resort to dismounting and leading past horse-eating
monsters.  So why not try it over a few rides.  I feel that weaning the
horse off the human lead part way through the trip will develope
confidence.    Going out without the human doesn't seem as drastic as when
you attempt to go out without an equine conpanion your horse has grown to
depend upon.

Got a walking or jogging mate or friend?  They don't shy and don't chase
dogs- unless you want them to!  This method might help with horses like
pretty David who seem to lack confidence and just need to be conditioned
and conditioned and conditioned and.......

And speaking of horses afraid of dogs-I have found my horses became less
fearful immediately after having been taught to chase the dog in
retaliation.  We've taught some of the dogs to skulk back into their
driveways when they see us coming.  I also carry a pocket full of rocks
heavy enough to throw a fair distance.  Country dogs know all about that, too!

Ann