Re: What the Mileage has Done

From: Bev Ryan
Email: rikan@e-z.net

I purchased my first Arab last January to do endurance.  I thought for
sure the first 6 months that he would  surely kill me.  Had all the
spooking problems, rearing and just about everything you could think of
he would try.  This guy will be 11 this year and for 9 years of his
life he was a pasture ornament.  Today, just one year later he is a
prince.  He did 7 50 mile endurance rides  last year, completing 5, and
completing in the top ten of 4.  This winter we have taken 3 dressage
lessons, and last week I took him team penning at our local fair
grounds.  He is my trusty steed and wouldn't trade him for the world.
Butttttt  if you had asked me months ago I was ready to give up on him.
 Just to let some of you know that it takes time to build trust and a
lot of patience.

  **** Bev, this sounds like you did alot of speed on this horse.
You’ve only had him since January?  Who put the base on him?  What top
% were you in for the other 3 races?  Does he listen on the trail when
asked to slow, follow, or let others go?  Was he well trained coming to
you?
  ****This sounds really fast to me.  Once reason I’m a little turned
off on the 50’s.  They just keep getting faster and faster.  From the
little I’ve seen, of course....
****Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab...”don’t worry kid-o, no way I’m going
that fast if you wanted to!  I’ve got some morgan sense!”)....”yeah
Mystery, and bulk too!  just keep eating, you pregnant gelding!....”