Re: wheat germ oil

Carol Harrison wrote:

> Sorry Steph, I forgot to take the -d out of the address when I posted these
> messages.
>
> Is wheat germ oil ok to use in place of corn oil for adding fat to the
> diet?  If so, would it be fed at the same rate or at a lessor amount?
> Since wheat germ oil contains more nutrients than corn oil, would it upset
> the balance in the feed ration?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol

Hi Carol,

Wheat germ oil is fine as a fat supplement to the diet, but it isn't
appreciably any different from corn oil, nutrition-wise.  It is a bit
higher in some of the fat-soluble vitamins, but not enough to make any
difference in the total diet.  You can feed it at the same rate as corn
oil (or any other vegetable oil).  Take a look at the price of corn vs.
wheat germ oil to see if it's really cost-effective to be feeding wheat
germ oil.  Since what you primarily want out of oil is the extra
calories (the same in corn vs. wheat germ oils), it may be just as
beneficial, but cheaper, to feed corn or vegetable oil.

Also, be sure you keep the oil (of any type) in a tightly sealed
container away from as much air as possible, as rancidity (occurring
within about ten days) will affect nutritional value and palatability.
Keeping it in small container (less air space) in the frig is a good
idea if possible.

If you're feeding more than about a cup or so a day, try to break up the
fat into two or more feedings to increase the efficiency of absorption
in the gut.  If you feed alot of oil all at once, the intestines can get
a little overwhelmed and the oil will pass through undigested---thereby
losing the nutritional benefits of the oil and possibly causing a little
diarrhea.

Good luck,

Susan Garlinghouse