Re: Respiration rate and thumps

Lynn,

Thank you very much for your input.  It has been a very long time since I took
physiology (graduated from UCLA Dental School in 1979), but I thought that I
remembered that a respiratory alkalosis could be induced from blowing off CO2.
I had the feeling that this was happening with this horse.  I had never heard
anyone discuss the relationship of thumps with respiration.  Thanks also for
reminding me that potassium is a major factor.  Most of us tend to think of
thumps as being a calcium problem only.  I have also received input from Lari
Shea (thank you Lari) about training methods to improve respiratory rate.  I
will keep you posted as to how this goes?  I give this horse a mixture of
regular salt, lite salt and dolomite in applesauce.  Do you have any other
recommendations?

Thank you to other ridecampers who have given input.

Debby Lyon