Re: Ridgeway system

>From: "Budler, Cindy" <natcon@afrox.boc.com>

>A mini type of survey for all.
>We are considering trying to get our committee to adopt this system for
>vetting pulses.>

Hi Cindy,

We use the "Ridgeway System" or Cardiac Recovery Index (CRI) at our
rides as a tool to evaluate metabolic status.  It is incorporated into
the "trot-out" in the regular Vet exam and takes no longer to do than a
normal Vet check, when the Vet gets the hang of the routine.

When the horses is presented, the Vet takes the pulse first, then the
horse is trotted out the prescribed distance and back.  The Vet observes
the trot for soundness.  When the horse returns to the Vet after trot,
he/she examines the rest of the metabolic parameters, tack galls, etc.
The Vet should be able to do this in the 2 min. timeing window
prescribed for the CRI.  (If not, your Vet needs more experience).  The
pulses before the trot-out and after the 2 min. window are recorded.
The second pulse should be within 2 beats per 15 sec. of the first
pulse.

This is a very valuable tool when the Vet understands how to use it.  If
the Vet does not understand it, or takes too long to perform it, the
riders may get very frustrated with the system.  However, it's the Vet's
call, whether to use it no not.

I've seen rides where a PR crew preforms the CRI before the horse is
presented to the Vet.  IMO, this is a waste of human resouces that most
ride managers don't have.  The Vet should be able to do this quickly and
efficiently as part of the exam.

If this does not answer all your questions, I'd be glad to address them.

Lindavan, Buhni, Sunny, Fiddler, Rabbit & Rain Maker
Equine Athletes <equine_athletes@hotmail.com>
2921 Moore Lane, Fort Collins, CO  80526
970-226-1099