Re: regarding height of horse & controlled vs uncontrolled starts

I used to be a big horse person (16.2 hands +) until I had to feed the
monster until she died.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Duchess and kept her
for 17 years until she died at 29.  But she cost a fortune to feed as she
aged (and I took advantage of beet pulp and oil).

Part of the size thing was being in the three day eventing mode where
bigger is considered better, although I rode a little 15 hand mare that
could jump everything the bigger horses could who probably started me
thinking that maybe smaller was better.

I got my mustang because I couldn't afford a more expensive horse, I wanted
a smaller, hardier, easier to feed horse.  Rose might just be 15 hands, she
is extremely thrifty and has hooves as tough as steel (my farrier is
constantly amazed at how hard her feet are), and she doesn't get dinged up
like me TB mare used to.  For the $$ and the time she is worth it.  Also,
since my horses seem to live long lives, I wanted something I could age
gracefully into.  I don't know about the rest of you but this body isn't
what it was 15 years ago.  Closer to the ground, cheaper to feed are what I
look for.

Archie, Rose's companion, is also 15 hands.  He is not as easy a keeper as
she is, but at least he is easy to get on and off, and I can throw the
nieces up onto him without injuring myself.

My vote now is for 14.2-15.2 but then I am only 5'6".  For my age group
this was average height, compared to my nieces I'm a shorty.

In my ignorance, I thought all starts were controlled.  Must be the rides I
know of do it that way, possibly because they trails are so narrow and to
avoid disasters?

I can't imagine a 'european racehorse' style start and have no idea what
either of my horses would do.  I guess I need to ask about this if I go
further afield than the rides that I know of.

Karen & Rose (ride me more) & Archie (what about me?)