Re: Paso Finos

>Ms Lynn Marie, I didn't see Dr. Smith stating her observations as fact..
>Seemed to me to be just observations.  But if you want some facts try this.
>In 23 years of endurance riding I've  seen but one Paso Fino have at the
>game.  He was a game little guy, but alas, he couldn"t cut the mustard.
>Placed dead last.  They do really show well. Nice lookin horses.  But
>again, the record stands for itself.  If you want to run get  an Arab or an
>arab cross.  Jerry Fruth..Hickory Ridge....Standing JABASK KNIGHT

On the other hand, there is already one Peruvian Paso stallion in the EHRA
(650 miles of AERC 50's before his new owner retired him to stud) -- he
took 10th at Castle Rock (?) a few years ago, and another PP stallion that
was also competing took 7th.  I think he has a BC to his credit as well.
Sue Riegel and I just took two of his offspring on their first LD, and they
finished sound, with excellent recoveries, despite my not being able to
much conditioning on them.  I'm hoping to get them in the EHRA this year.

I agree that if you want to race, an Arab gives you the best chance -- they
*are* fast.  But I really like to see the trail and the scenery, and my
arthritic back precludes riding a trotting horse, so I have the more modest
goal  of finishing middle of the pack with a sound horse, and doing it many
times on that same horse.  I've already taken one Peruvian to 1700 miles in
NATRC (and lesser amounts on some others because they are also my breeding
mares), and I have every confidence that many PPs (and PFs) can travel with
the pack in endurance.

-- Lynn K. (Santa Ynez, CA)
   http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky