Re: Paso Finos

Hi, Debby--

I would have to concur with Susan Garlinghouse that Paso Finos do not seem to
be ideal endurance horses.  We have had half a dozen or so compete here in the
NW at rides that I have vetted, and although they have completed for the most
part, most have been about at the end of their rope, so to speak, after
limited distance rides.  Their recoveries were sufficient but nothing to write
home about.  I would have to concur, also, that their gaits are smooth and
comfortable to the rider, but not especially efficient for covering terrain
over long distances.  I saw one exception to this at a ride in northern Idaho,
where a lady had a Paso that neither looked nor moved like a Paso, and did
reasonably well.  This is not meant to discourage you from riding your Paso on
endurance rides, as almost all horses benefit from distance conditioning and
can be gotten to a level sufficient for completion--if it is your goal to
complete rides on Pasos, by all means go for it.  But if your goal is to
advance as an endurance rider, I would advise picking another breed.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)