Re: Stirrup leathers rubbing shins

<<
 I'm working up to buying an endurance saddle and don't want to buy a
 problem I haven't so far had.  If this is a problem common to endurance
 saddles in general it needs to be addressed by the makers, or specifically
 the makers of the problematic brands/types.

 Ann

The problem is a common one and NOT related to the saddle itself, but rather
the manner in which the rider holds and uses his/her legs. One solution (other
than taking a tremendous amount of time to evaluate riding style, length of
stiuurp, time in the saddle, hang of the stirrups, etc.) is an adaptor that
attached to the bottom of the stirrup strap and then to the stirrup enabling
the stirrup to hang perdendicular to the body for the horse, thus eliminating
the twist created by normally hung stirrup straps when the rider is mounted.

Unfortunately, although I somewhere saw an ad about this "adaptor", I have no
idea as to what it is called or where to obtain one.  Another solutionm is
simply to wrap the stirrup straps.

I believe the chief cause of this rubbing is the fact that ove rlong distance,
riders do not maintain a constant leg or foot position.  I NEVER had these
problems when I rode hunter/jumper, dressage or jumped.  They developed as
soon as I decided to ride long distances.

For an unevaluated reason, this problem corrected itself in time.  Perhaps my
body, in self-defense, learned to reposition itself to avoid the pain.

As a supplier and manufacturer of disnatce riding equipment, I am VERY
interested in helping out my fellow riders.  Further input more than welcome.

Teddy Lancaster
Running Bear Farm, Inc..