Wild Horses Shot to Death in Reno

I found this on another list this morning

Karen Clanin

Wild Horses Shot To Death in Nevada

.c The Associated Press

 By SCOTT SONNER

RENO, Nev. (AP) -- Twenty-five wild horses were shot to death at close range
with a rifle in the worst slaughter of free-roaming horses in Nevada in a
decade, investigators said Tuesday.

``This kind of stuff is just sick and absolutely senseless,'' said Paul
Iverson, administrator of the Nevada Division of Agriculture. ``Some of them
were shot and left to suffer for a long period of time.''

All of the horses appeared to have been shot on Sunday about five miles east
of the Reno-Sparks area. The carcasses were found in a valley known as Devil's
Flat.

The horses included several young colts and pregnant

Reward Offered for Horses' Shooting

.c The Associated Press

 By SCOTT SONNER

RENO, Nev. (AP) -- Bobbi Royle has seen a lot of animals in trouble but
nothing prepared her for the sight of more than two dozen wild horses shot
dead at close range.

``We only saw two horses at first,'' said Royle, of the horse adoption group
Wild Horse Spirit. ``Then, oh my God, we saw another one. And then a fourth
and a fifth. It was horrible.''

By today, the death toll had grown to 33 -- the biggest single shooting of
wild horses in Nevada since as many as 600 were killed during a two-year
period in the mid 1980s.

``All of the horses appeared to have been shot multiple times before dying,''
Washo