Re: alfalfa and heart rate (long)

In a message dated 12/30/98 5:11:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<< PLEASE....alfalfa in the EAST is NOT like alfalfa in the west.  I
 feed 80% alfalfa ALL YEAR and IN COMPETITION with NO PROBLEMS and
 have done so for 20 years.  The type of alfala is of PRIME
 importance. >>

....and not all western alfalfa is the same, either.  We have a wide variety
here in the NW and can get good "horse alfalfa" with less-than-prime-dairy
protein and calcium that is excellent hay.  We tend to not feed much of it in
the summer, since we can also get outstanding grass hay, but feed quite a bit
in the winter, and still let the endurance horses have it post-ride, or
sometimes during longer rides for the extra calcium.  I prefer it to
"supplements"...

Heidi