Re: proposed AERC fees change

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:23:01 -0600 (CST), "Glenda R. Snodgrass"
<grs@TheNetEffect.com> wrote:

>It is my understanding that the BOD is already working on some proposals
>to alleviate the financial hardship incurred by members in other countries
>like you, so hopefully you will have your own fee adjustment in the near
>future.  I believe that equitable apportionment is the name of the game,
>and currency exchange rates need to be considered as well.

A problem here is that the cost to AERC of member services is not
reduced by the exchange rate ... if anything, the cost of member
services for non-US members is higher due to such things as postage
for mailing EN, phone rates, etc.

I fully support developing a sound accounting of the costs of member,
ride, and rider services, and a complete overhaul of the fee structure
based on that data.  That should include setting ride sanction fees to
properly cover the true cost of services that are per ride/per rider.
Everyone should pay their fair share, no group should be subsidizing
another group.

We may need an outside consultant to come in and produce such a report
and fee schedule, to keep the politics out of it.  A few thousand
dollars to get our fees realistically set would be money well spent
IMO.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net