the water issue

It is very commendable that drivers are showing concern about water
intake of their horses during a marathon.  Dehydration contributes
dramatically to fatique, therefore, you want to be sure your horse is
hydrated BEFORE the marathon starts.  A sloppy beet pulp mash is a
very good idea as is giving electrolytes BEFORE the competition.  I
cannot see much benefit of giving electrolytes during or after the
marathon as the distance and time he performs is relatively short.
It may amaze you that very few endurance riders electrolyte after a
ride, but we sure do plenty of it before (up to two days before if we
are hauling a distance) and during.  It is not unusual for our horses
not to drink for 15-25 miles either (although it makes us a bit
crazy).  We do electrolyte horses that are not drinking, it is a
horse that is dehydrated that we are wary of.  A dehydated horse is a
pretty sorry sight and I hope that none of you ever have to see one.
We allow all the water they want, all the time, even after a race.
There are many different brands of electrolyes out there too, I
suggest the industrial strength ones, such as Enduro-max or Pro-lite.
Driving horses put out in a similar way as eventing horses and
endurance horses and should have maximum resources to do so.
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.com
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall