Re: Horsey colds and cures

Dear Cheryl,
     Last month I got a new boarder on my farm.  Even though she had health
papers, my two "seniors," Tash, age 26, and Dascha, age 20, woke up one day
about two weeks later and decided they weren't interested in their grain.  By
the next day they were both also refusing hay and acting very lethargic, and
had developed runny stools.  Got the vet out, he was perplexed . . . both
horses had low gut sounds, and their cbc's came back really low on the white
cell count. (3.2 and 3.1 respectively . . . 6 to 12 is normal). Yet neither
was running a temperature, and their respiration was also normal.  During the
initial exam, when all he could find was the lowered gut sounds and the loose
stools he thought at first that it might have been something they ate.
However, all horses get same food, same oats, same hay . . . and only the
"seniors" were affected. David, Crow and Pal (the new one) all were just fine.
Vet decided it was probably some kind of a virus, and we'd see more symptoms
develop withing a few days.  He said he really had no recommendation for me
until then, as he wasn't quite sure what we were dealing with yet.
     I immediatly started both horses on a twice daily routine of about 3000
mg of Vitamin C, Echinacea with Goldenseal (Zand company formula extract),
Selenium and Vitamin E.  I also upped the Clovite I typically add to their
feed.  (High in A, D and E, all of which are immune system boosters.)  Since
they wouldn't eat, I mixed all this with applesauce and squirted it in with a
lagre, plastic syringe.  Within two days they were eating again, though not
with lots of enthusiasm.  But within five days, they were eating with gusto
(even with all the stuff in their feed . . . of course, I kept adding the
applesauce) and after seven days they were 100% back to their old selves.
   Maybe this result would have happened had I done nothing, I don't know (you
know what they say about colds, if you treat them, they go away in about 7
days, if you don't treat them, they go away in about 7 days . . <G>). . . but
I can tell you, my vet was impressed.  He said he was just SURE things with
these two horses were going to go downhill, they'd develop a fever, or snotty
nose, or something, before they went uphill again.
    If I were you, I'd continue with the echinacea, though I'd go to a good
extract, and add some immune-stimulating vitamins (A, C, D, E) as well.  At
any rate, hope Blue recovers fast!!!

Trish & pretty David,
Grand Blanc, Michigan

<< Hi group,

 Hope you all had a Merry Xmas and are heading towards a great New Year!

 Ok, my buddy Blue has a cold with a cough and a very small amount of snot.
  I talked to the vet and right now he is holding his own with no fever.
  While I was lying in the chiropractors office I was wondering why couldn't
 I give Blue Echinacea like I do my kids when they have colds?  Granted I'd
 have to give him a real expensive series of the stuff but I imagine it
 won't hurt him, after all it is only herbs.  We have a ride to do end of
 January and I am really hoping he is better by then.  Right now I am using
 vicks on his nostrils and that is it. What do you all do for your equine
 pals when they have colds and are under the weather?

 Also I've been afraid to visit my yearling because of the cold germs.  If I
 wash my hands shouldn't it be o.k.?  Or since colds are airborne can the
 germs get on my clothes and could I accidently carry the germs to another
 farm?

                                   Cheryl Newbanks >>