Re: OF -Cut-Back vs. Stitchdown

>I did not get the chance to try the stitch down model.
>Has anyone tried both of these saddles and can they tell what they
>thought the differences were in them?

I wanted to reply to the lady who was having trouble with the "new short"
panels, but deleted her message...I'll try this one a little too.

I don't see how the new shorter panels would be "too short for the bigger
horse, but just right for the 14.2 Arab" except for compared to long
paneled OF...  since the basic tree is the length of an average Western
tree, and any distance the panels extend is just gravy.  I would think
that even a short paneled OF would be longer in the weight bearing area
than a Desoto, or Saare, or other Western tree type saddle.  Maybe
they're too stiff and not settling correctly or something giving you the
bad fit.  In general, the OF tree is between average and wide I believe,
so perhaps it's just too wide for the big horse and fits better on the
14.2? We used the Stitchdown on a 15 hand average Arab with good withers
Sat. and were amazed that even coming straight down Lookout Mountain we
got away without using a crupper. (Haven't taught this horse to wear one
yet but I usually put them on every horse).

Now for the Stitchdown.  I ride an OF Express and the Stitchdown seems to
sit a lot like it.  I borrowed the one that Faith Clark has for sale for
Lynda Corry to ride Saturday and she really liked it.  The Stitchdown had
a small seat (comparable to 14" Western, not sure if they measure them
Western or English) and Lynda said it really felt nice. (She's a slim,
5'9" or so)  The stirrups on the stitchdown are made to adjust for either
 a more forward (gaited) or straight (dressage) position.  The bar is
divided and you can hang the stirrups forward or back. It comes with 1"
leathers.  Faith had the dividers cut out and put 2" leathers on it which
I like much better.  The seat on the stitchdown is heavily padded.  I've
heard a couple of people complain that it rubbed them at first, but then
they seemed to adapt to it.

The cantle of the Stitchdown is a little higher and resembles a Western
cantle more than on the cutback.  I think it's a more secure seat. It
also has good sized knee rolls.  I've been on both and prefer the
Stitchdown, but that's just my opinion.  I think getting the right seat
size plays a big part in any stirrup position being right.  Suzanne, If I
recall, you're not very tall so you might want to try the smaller
saddles.

Angie

Angie McGhee & Kaboot
Wildwood, GA
Rides2far@juno.com
Kabootnme@aol.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]