Re: lactic acid and cramping

In a message dated 12/24/98 3:20:02 PM Pacific Standard Time, Tivers writes:

<< Lactic acid production is a consequence of tying up, not a cause. I believe
Pro-Burst is branched chain amino acids--useful in slightly reducing lactic
acid production during high intensity exercise--as is Lactanase (lipoic acid).
I doubt that these products would be of much use in endurance horses. >>

I stand corrected about lactic acid being a by-product rather than a cause.
It would be more correct to say that lactic acid buildup occurs following tie-
ups caused during anaerobic work, but does not usually occur in other sorts of
tie-ups.  What I was getting at, though, was that Pro-Burst would not be
applicable in cases where lactic acid is not present, and we concur on that.

Heidi