Re: heart rates & recovery

Tivers@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/22/98 10:18:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> suendavid@att.net writes:
>
> << Personally, I'd like to see lactate levels used as a
>  criteria before horses are okayed to go on.  Maybe even
>  plasma protein levels to check for hydration, though that
>  might be too complicated for a vet check---maybe it could
>  be used just once during the day, or just in horses that
>  seem borderline.
>
>  Susan G >>
>
> I don't think you'll see much in the way of lactic acid--you've got to be
> rocking and rolling to approach VLA4. Yes, dehydration should be checked,
> along with some other blood info.
>
> ti

True, though it would identify the unfit horses or horses that were
being overridden hopefully before a crash. Might be an interesting
factor for BC judging as well.  Pull some quick lactates as the horses
come over the line, if a horse nosed out another, but had lactates of 20
mmol (vs say, 4 mmol in the second horse), the second horse is the one
more fit to continue and better conditioned in my book.  That and some
plasma proteins to measure true dehydration sure would be informative,
especially at championship level rides, or as a selection criteria for
FEI teams.

Susan G