CRI--Scientific basis?

The CRI is a basic and valuable tool and its use very necessary in the sport
of endurance riding. Being of a somewhat inquisitive nature, I would be
interested in hearing about how the CRI was developed (we all know by whom)
and what published studies were made to decide the values that we use today.
I am thinking that there must be a treasure trove of great articles somewhere
to read when it is too cold to do anything outside except chip ice out of
buckets.

Carol Wingate D.V.M.