Re: Bells during hunting season

Just the obligatory caution:  Last year I bought a set of velco attached
"bear bells" from the local sporting goods store.  Before I used them I made
sure my horse wasn't disturbed by them.  Well, I thought I had made sure...let's
just say I was lucky to get them off the saddle before I had a full scale
disaster on my hands!

Incidentally, at the Clemson trails conference, one of the park rangers
said that they were asking mountain bikers to wear bells so that all the
other trail users--hikers and horses--can hear them coming.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Massachusetts, USA