WINTER RIDING

I ride in Eastern Ontario, very cold and damp winters(usually).  I have
always suffered from cold hand and feet, probably from freezing them when
skiing as a kid.

My feet are worse when riding as you cannot stick them in an armpit to warm
up!  I ride in SOREL's good to -30 degree C. They are made in Canada, but
the US must have something similar.  Rubber foot, high nylon upper, with a
thick felt liner.  I take the liner out to dry after every use.  Sorel
makes boots rated to -74 degree C!

For hands I use double thick polar mitts with gore-tex over mitts. (from
MEC, a Canadian Outdoor and Mountaineering supply store)

I use a polar helmet-liner(I think for cyclers) AND a lightweight polar
balaclava under my helmet.

I would like to know how others deal with a wet horse on a cold day.  My
guys live outside, with a loafing shed, and have heavy coats.  I get cold
feet doing slow rides, they can get too warm going faster.  I now have a
water-proof breathable sheet, so I am going to try that.  Would a
polar-fleece liner under help?

Alison