WEC and Journalists

Hi Kathy,

To answer your questions--yes, the UAE Equestrian and Racing Federation
invited and paid for many of the journalists to cover the WEC. However, some
journalists, including myself, work for publications that have a policy that
prevents us from accepting these gifts. So, while many reporters may or may
not provide a neutral report on the competition as they witnessed it, others
will simply "do their job" as they would for any other competition.

I met many journalists there from throughout the world, and while there were a
few who I believed were there for the "freebies" as you put it, most were
working for legitimate newspapers, magazines or television stations.

And, I must tell you all that without the USET's Jamie Saults, the foreign
media would have struggled to even begin to do their jobs. She was absolutely
instrumental in the process. At the last-minute she accepted the job as
Foreign Press Liaison, since the infrastructure in place was basically non-
existent. She was our saving grace! And that's most likely why the immediate
pre-event coverage was so poor--Jamie almost singlehandedly organized the
media center (two days before the competition), arranged transportation, and
was the reason MOST of the 200+ media were able to get out to the course on
the morning of the competition. She stayed up all night arranging
transportation and stood in the parking lot of the Oasis Hotel for probably
four hours packing people into vehicles. The articles and photos many of you
will see in publications here in the U.S. couldn't have been accomplished
without her.

Anyway, despite all the challenges I had--11 years of journalistic experience
helped me survive and obtain a story even without a press conference with the
winning teams (luckily, they all spoke English!)--the trip was one I will
always cherish. In case anyone is interested, my 7,000+ words will appear in
the Dec. 25 issue of The Chronicle of the Horse, in addition to some fun
photos.

And, to all the people I met while at the WEC, "Hello," and thanks for all
your help along the way!
Best, Tricia Booker

<<Have to gripe about this one,with 300 journalists from all over the world
howcome there was soooooooooooo little coverage before and after this
event.MMM something else for me to wonder about,were they just there for a
freebie or what???????????
Have to know
Regards
Kathy *who could have been there free- lancing but have a lovely new pc to