Re: maiden mares?

In a message dated 12/8/98 8:24:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Any comments on the quality of foals from a maiden mare?  I've heard
 everything from "they're throwaways" to "there's no difference".  I
 would imagine reality is somewhere in the middle, >>

Usually not much difference, but occasionally you find a runty one--generally
there is a reason for it, like poor mothering, not enough milk, even
occasional placental insufficiency in a young mare, although that is more
common on the other end of the age spectrum.  I think there is more problem
getting healthy foals from really OLD mares than from maidens.

Heidi