Re: [aussieendurance] I do know!!!!!!!! Maybe you don't

From: Garry
Email: garry@lisp.com.au

Hi Robin,

To my surprise I have received many emails from Australia and overseas offering support of my thoughts which is nice but I do not expect everyone to agree.  It would be a very boring world if we all thought the same.

I must state that I am extremely disappointed in your reply and find it rather insulting and degrading.  I also can not see how you comment address or apply to anything I have stated.  For you to turn around what I have said 100% and make me out to be someone who does not respect what the Australians have achieved at the World Championships and further more could not understand the value of it anyway.  PLEASE let me know where you got this information from as it is certainly for one, incorrect and two not contained in any emails sent by me to Ridecamp or AussieeEndurance.  If someone is posting email in my name, please forward it to me.

Robin I have achieved results at a National and to a smaller degree International level in a sport that demands extremely high training regimes before you can even keep insight of your fellow competitors.(note not in any equestrian endeavor)  I dedicated 8 years of my life to my goal of Olympic representation which I did not achieve and must therefore be happy with the achievements I attained along the way.  So I must respectfully submit that I feel I may possibly understand what it takes to reach the top or to try and reach the top in any chosen arena of competition.

I will spell out my thoughts on the results of the Australian team for you.
For any individual to be selected in a National team, it is a feat in itself and requires no explanation of the dedication they have displayed or the hardship they have endured. To compete and to finish 160 km in a foreign county of which climate and terrain is also totally foreign is remarkable.  To obtain a top 10 placing is incredible.  To take out 3rd in the teams competition is outstanding.  For June Peterson to have successfully completed the ride on a borrowed horse only goes to show once again what a remarkable horsewoman she is.

I know nothing about you Robin, maybe I am talking to a Ride, State, National or International Champion but I do know that you have totally misunderstood me and for that I am disappointed but not sorry or regretful for anything I have stated in my previous email.  I can only suggest that the next time you direct personal patronizations and sarcasm to an individual, that you do so personally and not through a public forum especially when you are incorrect.  I do apologize however for directing my reply through such forum, but I am concerned that someone else my take me out of context after reading your email.

As for you stating that we need the UAE to put our spot on top of the world and with thier money it will happen. I find it to be a statement that is totally perplexing.  If this is the case the UAE would have filled the top 12 placings as money was no object, not to mention the home town advantage.  Money can not buy the hunger that wakes the competitive spirit at 4am and drives them day after day, year after year to success.  Money cannot buy World Wide respect and recognition of a sport or an individual. These are not hollow statements as this has been proven the world over for hundreds of years and I feel no examples are necessary.  I am not naieve and realize that money is an important part in any successful International sporting challenge.  I do also know that if tomorrow the UAE pulled out of the Endurance arena it would be very disappointing to see a nation no matter how GREAT or small leave the sport, but Endurance Riding on an International level will survive and grow.

As far as the result of the other nations, congratulations to you all and I wish you a safe enjoyable trip home.  The New Zealanders once again showed what a great sporting nation they are, they continue to produce remarkable results in numerous sporting fields for such a small nation.  The result of Valerie Kanavy of the USA to win a further World Championship are quite remarkable. To her and the rest of the USA team in taking out the team Silver, well done.

 ,
/,`\
` | \____\\
 _(      ) \    Garry Byrne
 \-\~~~_|\  \     'Belar' Mudgee.
 `  \ `   \  `      New South Wales.
		Australia
	     garry@lisp.com.au

At 02:07 AM 12/13/98 +1100, you wrote:
>Yes Garry, I can understand your problem with trying to understand the
>value in achieving what our Aussies have just achieved, but I also know
>what work went into what they have achieved.

 Being a live-in boarder with