Awards Ceremony

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 08:38:28 -0800
From: lbm@ici.net
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Awards Ceremony
Stephanie Teeter said:
The awards ceremony last night in Abu Dhabi was an incredible
 production - they called it an 'Operetta' - it was a dance,
 music, lightshow extravaganza. 50,000 people in attendance...
...When Valerie's win was announced
the entire stadium was booing and hissing ... a little scary.
How extraordinarily rude!  Why would they be booing and hissing?
Because a 52 year old mother from the US of A beat their home town
billionaires?
Sad.  Knowing how important hospitality to guests is in the Arab
world, I would have expected far better of them.
Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Massachusetts, USA
Dear Linda and ridecamp readers;
 I take it that you don't know much about the Mid. East as women are not
suppose to do or be anything but possessions of men.  Now take a woman;
and let her bet their wonderful male prince; and let her be from the USA
on top of it; and there you have all the booing and hissing! Lived in
Turkey for two years.
Julie A. O'Neill
214 E. State St.
Mascoutah, Ill. 62258