Re: "Your 1st Endurance tail"(Semi long)

     HI Kristi,
        I have only been on 2 LD rides...I plan on starting my young horse
     in 2000 endurance!!!  Anyway, My first 25 miler was alot of fun, and I
     had a mentor to ride with, who went on a short ride instead of her 50
     (thanks again Sue!!).
        I was riding an arabian mare named An Reflection (Image as I call
     her)...anyway, she was a well trained endurance mare that loves to
     trot...REALLY trot!  It was a very good experience..the weather was in
     the 90's in Prineville Oregon, I learned that I did not drink enough
     water (almost past out AFTER the race), learned all about
     electrolites,sponging,and saddle sores.  All was well worth the pain.
        When I came in for my first vet check, I had no idea what to do,
     but when I got there everyone seemed to know that I was new and helped
     me right through and quickly, so I didn't hold up the distance riders.
     When we were almost finished with the ride (5 miles left I think) we
     came accross a bull in this pasture...I was not sure if we were going
     to be able to sneak by, but Image took charge and went flying past,
     and it started run after us..I think that got my heart pumpin even
     more.  The bull was just playing (it was young) and it did not stick
     around for long..it was just curious I think.
        I have a huge respect for the "real endurance" people.  The
     experience of the great trails and beautiful country make me long to
     ride another one. The people are very friendly (most of them anyway)
     and extremely helpful.  I completed and was very proud of doing so!
     Not really an exciting story, but hope it gives a little insight about
     the wonderful people and all of the hard work that goes into the
     rides....I am looking forward to volunteering at a few rides next
     season.  This is the best way to learn all about the ride, and you get
     to meet all of the great people you hear about on Ridecamp...so from
     one newbie to another...go for it!!!!  Have fun and enjoy our
     beautiful country!
     Good Luck
     See you on the trails!
     Jenni (lurking, but vocal the last few days!!)