Re: Dubai - Valerie

Cowgirgoof@aol.com wrote:
> rides2far@juno.com writes:
> << Let's hear it for Valarie....She's trained 3 different horses up to the
>  top World finishes... not because she was breaking any of them down either.
>  think ya gotta admit she's the best of the best at what she does.  Proud
>  she's representing the USA. >>
>  I can remember when Valerie first started doing endurance- Her background is
> compeititive trail, and she still starts most of her horses that way. I'd just
> about bet anything that what Valerie's secret is is mostly about rating....
> Hooray for Valerie!

When I traveled to Virginia last month, I had the opportunity to ride
with Valerie and hang around her barn, and I was **very** impressed -
they are first class from start to finish.

What I learned in the short time I spent with them was basic...

  - Pick the right horse - many horses can be conditioned to top ten,
but those special horses like Cash and Jedi are put together to do
distance at speed over the years... invest your time and energy in the
great horses, and cull everything else.

  - Condition your great horses moderately, and ride them conservatively
and consistently... prepare them well, and preserve them once they're
going strong.

Easier said then done!!! I have to make due with the four critters I own
(well... they own me) and am lucky because two happen to be fun
endurance prospects. And the word "cull"?... I can't cull them - they're
my best friends.

If I was asked how to get a jump start on a competitive endurance future
and money was no object? I'd suggest to let Valerie pick a horse and
train with her as long as possible... every horse in her barn was
exceptional...

Even when money ***IS*** an object, that prospect's very enticing. She
made moving from California to Virginia look VERY good!

Valerie, I got up all night to check the list for news - you made us all
proud.... congradulations!

   Linda (still in California!)