Non-LD events at AERC rides - reply to Bob Morris's post

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 08:49:44 -0700, "Robert Morris" <bobmorris@rmci.net> wrote:

>By that definition I can then have my "15 mile Pleasure Ride" as long as I
>have a minimum/maximum time limit. So, to get around the AERC LD
>requirements that is all that is required? Setting "Min/Max" limits for my
>ride? That makes it real easy.

>Let's see what the rest of the organization thinks of the idea?

Personally, I think that defining LD as any mileage from 0-49 has so many
really nasty potiential side effects that the RM's should all agree to not
have LD rides outside the old 25-35 mile limits until the the entire
AERC membership comes to its senses and the LD definition is changed back
to 25-35 in the by-laws.  Using a format completely different from the
LD rules sounds like a sensible way to offer a short, fun ride.  Whether
its a CTR, a poker ride, or even just a fee for camping and meals at the
ride site its better than trying to squeeze a 15 mile fun ride into
the LD rules, never mind any AERC fees.  RM's could ask that anyone doing a
poker ride or any camper choosing to ride one of the loops for fun undergo
a vet check to preserve AERC's reputation since they will be on the same
trails as the AERC entrants. (CTR's of course have vet examinations by
definition.)

Teresa Van Hove
AERC#M17417