Re: maiden mares?

In a message dated 12/8/98 4:04:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Any comments on the quality of foals from a maiden mare?  I've heard
 everything from "they're throwaways" to "there's no difference". >>

We have a mare who has just produced her 9th foal. She is 1/2 Arab, 1/2 TB and
has been bred to several different Arab Stallions, a Dutch Warmblood, and a
Trakehner. Of the several foals, the first was a fairly plain and average
individual. The remaining have been quite good, even outstanding, even though
the stallions were so very different. We have seen, owned, or have access to
see all of her foals, so we have a good basis for comparison. We have observed
the same with cows, as we've bred cattle for nearly 50 years. It seems the
first offspring of both the mare and all of our cows are of lesser quality
than the suceeding ones. I asked a vet one time if he thought this seemed to
be true, and he agreed. Question: is it lack of milk, or genetic?

BMc