Re: maiden mares?

My stallion was the first, and only surviving, foal of his dam. He is
definitely not a "throw-away"! (IMHO anyways ;-) The first foals that I've
seen (a LOT) are generally no different than later foals from the same
matings. I think that many times, a first foal is the product of
trial-and-error breeding. Once you have seen which qualities are passed on
by a mare, the next choice of stallion can complement this, instead of being
a shot-in-the-dark. If you have the luxury of knowledge, or of matings of a
closely related mare, you can make an informed choice of stallions, and get
yourself a real "keeper"!
:-)

Stephanie McCray
Golden, CO