round the Mountain & mental conditioning

>But how do people out there deal with perking up those horses that "don't
>feel like it" right now? Is it possible to mentally condition a horse, or
>do we just have to be lucky enough to have horses that have the gung ho
>attitude in the first place?

A horses mental conditioning plays an important part in how they perform as
endurance horses.  There are lots of things you can do with your horse so
they don't get burned out in the middle of a ride - like a 50 or 100 (I
won't even give my opinion on what you should do if your horse is burning
out in the middle of a 25) <G>.

Ride alone.  If your horse is used to riding in groups then go share a few
hours out on the trail alone.  I think that some horses are more inclined
to get really dependent upon having a 'buddy'.  I know my two are total
idiots when at a ride together - they are completely different when taken
to a ride alone.  A good endurance horse must be independent!

Spend looooong days out riding, just for fun. Don't worry or even think
about the 'conditioning' aspect of it.  Pack a nice lunch, or else a
breakfast and lunch...you get the point...leave at 8 a.m. and don't come
back until dark (in the summer time).  Take an afternoon siesta out on the
trail in the middle of the day.  Let the horse learn that you aren't going
to just go for "X" amount of time and then head straight home every single
time.  There is something to be said for taking 12 hours to ride 25 miles.
Go sightsee- have a good time with your horse....stop worrying so much
about conditioning and stuff like that.

Try a point to point ride.  If there aren't any in your area, see if you
and a friend can work out the hauling/picking up logistics of it and plan
to do it on your own.

Get off and walk or jog alongside your horse.

If you know your horse is just dogging it, and not really tired then get
after 'em - use a rommel or a crop if you have to (don't beat the poor
thing, just give a little incentive) <G>.

And if all those things fail, you can always ride in with Trilby.

lol

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Rocky....about to do his first multiday longer than 2 days ;^)
& Weaver, on vacation ;*)