Re: Tie up experience

I borrowed a great horse from my farrior for the Spring and Fall of 1995.  I
conditioned as I always did, ie: 3 rides per week of about 10m, 1 ride per
week of about 15m. I only do LD so felt this was good.  I have always cut back
on grain during the "off" days and fed a little more on the riding days.  He
placed 11th on his first ride, then 2nd on the next ride.  During a visit, the
farrior's wife mentioned that the horse was looking a little too lean for her
liking. So, against my judgement, I began keeping him on the same amount of
feed all the time.  The very next training ride, he tied up after about 1
mile.  Called vet, did all the vet stuff, gave him several months off.  Began
conditioning the next spring and again, he tied up after i had been riding
about 3 weeks.  This time, the owners sent him to the Vet School for
evaluation.  Lots of $$ later, they were willing to chance it again, but I
wasn't.  I was afraid that he would have a terrible expisode and die.  I am
very sorry for your loss.  From what I have been able to read and find out, a
no grain diet is best for horses with recurrent tie ups.  There were some good
articles about diet in the Equine Journal.
Leigh