Hates to be alone

Hi . . . I wonder if anyone has any advice on this. I have an 11-year-old
Quarter Horse that I've had since he was 5. He wasn't broke until he was 4-1/2
and he had been bred as a racehorse. I've used this horse for pleasure trail
rides (distances typically about 15 to 20 miles). Now, I'd like to see how he
can do with endurance (he's built for it).

There is one major problem. This guy hates to be alone. Even after having him
6 years and riding him a lot, I can't seem to get him over this. He is very
smart and opinionated (his problem). If I take him away to ride, he has to
rely on me and he's not so bad. However, if I ride him around home, he blows,
bucks, and can be unpredictable. You get the picture.

To be fair, I haven't been consistent riding him alone because he's such a
pain in the butt. He is wonderful with another horse: responsive, willing,
forward, etc.  I've made up my mind to ride him alone 3 times a week making
him give to the bit and just going short distances to see what happens. I
usually do a longer ride with a friend once or twice a week.

I give this guy another season and then I may be looking for another horse,
but I'd hate to give  him up. I do like him.  Any ideas to make his (and my)
life easier on these training rides?  Thanks in advance.

Suzanne
Groton, MA