Endurance riders as the "most scientific competitors"

Ridecampers,

The December issue of "Practical Horseman" has an article entitled "Vast Leaps
In Progress" by Midge Leitch, VMD, Dipl.ACVM, in which she shares her thoughts
on how far equine veterinary care has come and where it's headed.  She says:

"Endurance riders strike me as the most scientific competitors.  I don't have
many among my clients, but those that I know amaze me.  They've been light-
years ahead in learning about the horse's basic metabolism and dealing with
the effects of working at maximum levels.  On the other hand, some competitors
in other areas ignore the danger of combining speed and fatigue, persisting
even in the face of injuries that could be career-ending."

Dr. Leitch is an internationally recognized veterinarian who has served with
the U.S. Equestrian Team at several Olympic Games and this year's World
Equestrian Games.