Re: GPS to calculate mileage

Well.... don't want to get too far into the technical conversation on
GPS.  But, as a geologist... I use my Garmin ALL the time.  Suffice it
to say that while I am quite comfortable placing a sample within 10
meters accuracy in the x,y...... z is another story. I'd say Duncan's
explanation was pretty good.  The bottom line is that elevation is a
darn hard thing to measure from a satellite basically because it's
looking down the same axis it's measuring.  Quite frankly, if you've got
a decent topo and know where you are..... you are probably better off
using the elevation from the topo.

They are wonderful things, BTW and both my husband and I are really
tickled with our Garmins.

--
Kirsten Price
Vermilion Desert Ranch