Bone cyst on shorp pastern????

Does anyone have any experience with a bone cyst of the short pastern bone?

I have a horse that my vet suspects has this.  The horse had some slight off and on lameness during the competition season.  Comes on after a couple tough rides(hard fast 50's or faster 100's) but seems to recover with 3 to 4 weeks rest.  Had xrays taken for navicular and pediostioitis(sp?) which showed neither but showed the possibility of this cyst.

Anyone know what it is, how it occurs and if there is a treatment?  Vet says it will be hard to confirm until the horse comes up lame again and we can do some blocks(horse isn't lame now - hasn't been worked real hard since June which was when the last lameness occured and resolved with about 4 weeks pasture rest).

Thanks in advance for any info!

Lori Hayward
LIV2RYD in VA