Planning training rides?

I am determined to make the most of this winter and ride with a plan. Right
now my training rides are modeled after the shot gun paradigm: Ride enough
and you are bound to hit something.

After thinking about it I found I do not have a good handle what changes to
make. I
would appreciate any comments.

How planned are your training rides?

Do you have a goal for each training ride or do you ride whatever ride
happens?

If you train with a goal what are some of the typical training goals?

Do you keep a record of your training rides?

Thanks for any comments,
Scott