Re: REHR letter to Pres. Frazier

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 15:33:52 EST, BMcCrary27@aol.com wrote:

>In what way does the ride manager bear the real burden? We simply state that
>the non-member rider is required to pay a $10 AERC bookkeeping fee. This has
>proved to be no burden to me as a ride manager.

Barbara, you are fortunate to live in an area with a large
concentration of endurance riders.  You enjoy large attendance at your
rides, and are in not danger of losing money managing them.

I most other parts of the country, rides are smaller and due to the
fixed costs it is much more difficult to break even financially.  The
loss of only a few LD riders can make the difference.  Some rides use
"fun" rides to further encourage newcomers and help make expenses;
these rides have quite low fees.  A TEN DOLLAR extra AERC fee for
these rides would have a big impact -- and the AERC does no
"bookkeeping" for them at all!!!!!

This is what I am facing with my wish to have a ride in Colorado next
summer.  I am dependent on sub-50-mile riders to break even.  If I
cannot break even with AERC sanctioned rides, I must either not have
the ride, or have competitive trail rides (properly sanctioned with a
CTR organization) instead.  I'd rather have an LD ride and a 15 mile
"fun" ride, but I cannot afford to run the ride at a loss.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net