Re: Non-member fee

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:24:44 EST, BMcCrary27@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 12/2/98 10:40:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>arabs2go@hotmail.com writes:

><< Does the money go toward paying for
> keeping track of miles/points and paying for awards for all-year
> members? >>

>No, it goes toward paying to keep track of miles for the NON-members. AERC
>keeps track of results and mileage for ALL riders, members or not. That's why
>OUR ride entry blanks call it an AERC bookkeeping fee.

No one has ever shown that it takes anywhere close to ten dollars a
head to do this ... as the total "tracking" for non-members consists
of typing one line from the ride results into the computer, less than
one minute's work for the office.  Total.  Then there's about
one-eighth of an inch of column space to print their name in the ride
results.  Unless they join and pay dues the AERC does nothing further
for them, and incurs no additional cost at all.

<excellent summation of the value of the AERC to the sport and its
riders snipped, as it is not relevant to the question of charging
non-members EXTRA at rides>

Although as I've pointed out I have always been a strong supporter of
the AERC, when considering the relative importance to the sport the
ride managers are critical.  If the AERC went out of business tomorrow
rides would continue, and a new organization would be created to
handle the sanctioning and record-keeping.  I don't expect the AERC to
go out of business and I certainly don't desire that -- but let's not
overlook the importance of ride managers to our sport.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net