Re: Getting to the people with the power

On Wed, 02 Dec 1998 18:50:29 PST, "Nancy Mitts" <mitts_n@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>These are all things non-members benefit from that the $3 AERC rider fee
>doesn't cover. This is part of where our membership money goes, not just
>awards & recordkeeping.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm a strong supporter of the AERC and have
been for many years.  I devoted a lot of time and treasure to that
support.  But if a good friend or an organization I love and support
is in the wrong, I will say so.  I do not believe in non-member fees
on principle -- sure, country clubs and horse shows have them.  But
the country club *owns* the golf course; the AERC does not own any
trails.  And I don't see that we have to emulate horse shows.

IMO the sanction fee does cover all of the benefits to those riders
that day.  Dues covers the member benefits.  But I've said all this
before.

But the main reason I oppose the non-member fees, especially such
large amounts for the short rides, is that I believe it hurts the
AERC's and the sports future, as well as the small ride managers.
It's being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net