2 cents more!

I am really disappointed to see so much controversary over who gets
awards or not... should 25 milers get better awards, is it REALLY
endurance, etc.?
I disagree that any horse can come out of the pasture and do a 25 mile
LD... well, I take that back.  Maybe they can, but will they finish
SOUND? I don't understand the big deal about 25 vs. 50 vs. 100.... it's
DISTANCE riding.  Not just a leisurely trail ride or a weekend poker
run.  I'm even beginning to wonder if I should even MENTION that word
"competitive" on ridecamp.... some have a decided prejudice against it
(or so is the impression I get sometimes!).  Whether one rides 25 miles
or 100, there is preparation and training and conditioning and a
strategy which are all aimed at finishing with a sound horse (which I
believe is the objective for endurance OR CTR).  No, I don't think 25 LD
riders should getter bigger better toys than the  100 milers... I better
get something darn good when I finish my first 100!!!!  So, get on the
horn and/or the internet and forward your opinions to the appropriate
people at AERC and see what you can do... of course, I say all this and
next year, I'll be too intimidated to try any 50s and I'll turn into a
career 25 LD rider and get kicked off ridecamp!  :)  Just kidding!  We
are all entitled to our own opinions but I think endurance isn't just
about the distance... there is more to it than that.
Maggie