Re: Judging how to "move up a level"...

Isn't that the whole idea?  It is logical to condition a horse in steps... and
only logical to start a horse at 25 miles before jumping into a 50
(competitive or endurance!).  I consider these rides part of my horse's
training and conditioning and it can only HELP him to teach him the routine of
a 25 before moving on to the 50s. (And 50s can only help him get ready for
100s!)  My horse needs to learn how to come down when he comes in, how to
relax and conserve his energy and build himself up for the final push... (not
meaning I am "pushing"... better clarify myself!  The final push as in the
final leg of the journey!).  We should not be made to feel as if we are less
important or less a part of the sport if we choose to ride 25 LD's. Part of
endurance isn't just the race but the intelligent (hopefully) care, training
and conditioning BEFORE the race... it is all those things that make us "real"
endurance riders!   I'll give ya a dime for that .02!
Maggie