Non-member fee

I'm gonna speak for non-members who may have been at the game a few
years, and resent the non-member fee, but perhaps didn't join AERC
because they didn't enter enough rides each year to justify it.

I'm curious about where the $10 non member fee is applied. It can't
rightly be called a "day membership" because these members don't get the
same benefits as all-year members. Does the money go toward paying for
keeping track of miles/points and paying for awards for all-year
members? Something seems wrong here. It looks more like a penalty for
not being an AERC member - "join or else" -- "You're an outsider, so pay
us $10 so we can provide benefits to our members". Correct me if I'm
wrong.

I think the sanction and per rider fee paid by everyone should cover the
benefits of safeguarding the horse, consistency, etc. that come with
AERC sanctioning. Those who are full members should be the ones to pay
for the extra benefits of points/miles, awards, etc. It's their choice.
Those not interested in AERC points/miles, awards, etc. should be able
to chose not to join without financial penalty. It's not like they're
trying to avoid sanction and per rider fees, they just don't care about
all the frills that go with membership. Why is that wrong?

Another possibility given that the fee is a reality: While it would be a
monumental task, shouldn't so-called day members have all the benefits
as all-year members including tracking points and mileage (but excluding
a subscription to EN)? At the very least, they shouldn't have to "buy
back" their mileage because they've already paid their dues!

Mia