Re: Paint and pinto coloring

CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> Not so.  Cropouts are somewhat common in the QH breed.  Some family lines of
> QH's are noted for producing cropouts and are much sought after by Paint
> breeders.   I have personally witnessed cropouts from very minimally marked
> parents.  One of the main Paint stallions in my practice is a cropout from
> very "plain" QH parents--he is not very loud, but has produced more white than
> he himself has when bred back to some pretty "plain" QH mares.  Some QH lines
> are notorious for producing cropouts.

Those lines produce cropouts because they carry the DOMINANT Overo gene.
ANd if you looked closely at those plain parents you would see some
evidence of an overo gene. :-)

In fact, it was the QH registry's
> refusal to accept cropouts that really gave the Paint registry the impetus to
> get going in such a big way.  Breeding stock horses can and do sometimes
> produce overo foals when bred to other breeding stock horses or to QH's--it
> just isn't usually done because the odds are better breeding to a horse that
> actually exhibits color.  I think you may be confusing the overo gene with the
> tobiano gene which IS dominant--both color patterns are recognized by the
> pinto and Paint people, but in order to produce a tobiano, one must start with
> at least one tobiano parent.

No, I am not confusing anything. The overo gene is dominant, just like
the tobiano gene. So a breeding stock paint can not throw a dominant
overo gene if it does not posses it. Sometimes the evidence of the
dominant overo gene is hard to spot, but it is there. The overo gene is
no longer considered recessive. And this information came from Mike and
Ann Bowling.

> And you are right--this is not particularly endurance related, but there seem
> to be lots of folks curious about genetics, so I hope no one minds us
> discussing this on list, and that those who aren't interested will use their
> delete buttons....

Yes, I am one of those people who find genetics interesting and I have
learned a lot about genetics by just following threads like this. Mike
Bowling is on the Arab list and this can get to be quite a hot subject.
The question being, "is there purebred pintos?" Some Arabian breeders
say yes and the Arabian Horse Registry says no!

Lynette
Another sunny nice day in ND. So ND isn't all cold and snow!