Re: HAY/BEET PULP?HEAT?

In a message dated 98-11-30 07:14:26 EST, ayers@plainfield.bypass.com writes:

<< I understand that in very cold weather,  hay is the BEST
 source of heat due to the fermentation process.

 Does Beet Pulp supply heat as well?  Or should I just
 give him extra hay as well as Beet Pulp on very cold
 days? >>

I personally like alfalfa in cold weather because it has extra protein and
protein has what is called a high heat of digestion--which means that it gives
off heat during the digestion process.  (Just the opposite of what you want on
ride day when it is hot...)  I just give extra hay when it is cold.  Likely
beet pulp works in a similar manner, but will let those who use it and know
more about it address it...

Heidi