Re: Nez Perce Appaloosas

<< I thought that Paints were either pinto QH or Pinto TB.

 Lynge >>

I was being a bit general, as for a long time, the QH registry accepted TB's
(am not sure if they still do or not) and the Paint registry still does.  A
good many QH's have a LOT of TB in their pedigrees.

Heidi

PS:  Speaking of complicated registration crossovers--here's the pedigree
trivia lesson for today:  In the early days, the Jockey Club accepted
Arabians.  (There are still a very few "straight Jockey Club" Arabs around,
not currently registered as such, though.)  Anyway, there was an Arabian
stallion in Colorado named Gudea (foaled 1941, by Khyber x Gubba by Kolastra)
who was one of the Jockey Club registered Arabs.  He sired 26 purebred Arabs,
and survives into modern pedigrees.  (I have at least two horses that descend
from him.)  He had one foal registered in the Jockey Club, out of a TB mare,
who was a race winner--am not sure at what level.  However, by virtue of his
Jockey Club registration, he was also eligible to be registered as a QH in
those early days, and because he was a good using horse, a lot of the local
ranchers with QH's bred to him.  He had more registered QH offspring than he
did Arab offspring, if I remember correctly.  There was an article about him
in Western Horseman back in the 60's sometime--sure wish I could lay hands on
it.