Re: Baking Soda

In a message dated 11/23/98 7:51:55 PM Pacific Standard Time, REBELCJB@aol.com
writes:

<< Here's a question for debate. I'm posting this for a friend that is
normally
 online but is having comp problems & not on the list currently.
 She is having to give a hopefully future endurance/CTR horse baking soda on a
 daily basis for his kidneys.  What are the pro's & con's of this treatment?
 She is afraid that this treatment may be detrimental to him in the long run.
 What do you think Heidi & all?
 Thanks for the response.  Will forward all responses to my friend.
 Carla Jo Bass & Midnight Bay DBA +/

Probably won't have much effect one way or another if she's not piling it on.
Many racehorses take sodium bicarbonate for ulcers with no ill effects and
some used to get huge doses on raceday as a part of the "milkshaking"
procedure.

The danger in a long hard ride is alkalosis--and sodium bicarb could help this
problem along, so on a day of competition, I'd save the bicarb until after the
horse has recovered. I doubt that, even in that case, it'd play much of a
part--but just to be safe...

ti