Re: Federal Government and Liability

The FHA is the Federal Highway Administration...yes!!!!  And it is NOT limited
to engine power.  It is for foot trails, horse trails, bike trails, ATV trails.
You need only apply, do the proper study (environmental impact, etc,).  Only
problem is that they pay for it when you are done...no up front money.  BUT, the
project CAN be done is stages and payment done in stages.

The BCH is NOT in favor of "adopt a trail" or other "volunteer" programs.  They
were WELL represented at this Symposium.  They act as volunteer "coordinators"
and help to the extent they will pack in supplies for workers. And, you are
right.  There is hardly a state east of Colorado that has a chapter.

In my own state (with a horse council only interested in the show ring) we have
a college that has been sending it's students to Colorado to work on maintaining
and building trails.  Maybe they don't know we even NEED them here?

My trails have been closed from December 15 to April 15 to "avoid erosion".
Bullshit.  We also learned from this symposium that letting trails "rest" does
NO good if they are not planned well and maintained to begin with.  I have over
30 miles of trails and the 13 mile loop next to me has one 50 foot section that
could be deemed as able to be damaged by horses being on it when wet...yet they
close the entire trail system!!!

I am surprised that even 50 people bought permits here (this may include all
three districts...the other 2 districts being at least a two hour drive away).
The rangers spend almost all their time on the ATV trails (MILES away) and I
NEVER see a ranger NEAR our horse trails.  We ride anyway, permit or no permit.
The only way to get a permit is to go to town and buy one.  NO signs are posted
at trail heads.  You would not even know about it if:  1.) you were not on their
mailing list (I am), or 2.) saw it in the newspaper (which I do not get). I live
RIGHT on the trails..a short walk (1/4 mile) and I am there.  There are trail
heads, and there USED to be a horse camp, but the bridge going in is unsafe, no
one would fix it, so no one used the camp, so it was abandoned (and vandalized).
We are VERY angry with their unfulfilled promises. Now I hear a rumor that since
the PEOPLE camp is under used, they MIGHT convert it into a horse camp.  Funny,
I've lived here ten years and even though the people camp is less than 5 miles
away, I have never been in it...I'll have to take a look and see if it will
accommodate us suitably.

When I get back from Dubai, I will be pushing for meetings with the USFS.

Teddy