beet pulp

Researching beet pulp for horses...most of the info I have found is re:
pellets which must be soaked.  We can buy it shredded and I have been
told you can't overfeed beet pulp but I am really wondering HOW MUCH
should I feed and can I feed it without soaking it (shredded does not
expand like the pellets)?  So far I have only been feeding them a cup or
so a day to let them get the taste of it...some love it, some hate it
and I'd like to increase it for those who really love it but want to
proceed with caution and not upset our feeding program which seems to be
going along well.  Any suggestions will be appreciated!  Thanks!
Maggie